Work with us
Vacancy for September, 2018
Greensteds is a co-educational boarding and day school (IAPS and CIS) following the National Curriculum of England & Wales from Early Years to IGCSE, and A level.
We welcome applicants for the following positions falling vacant in September, to join our dynamic and supportive staff:
- Science Lab Technician
- Communications and Alumni Officer
Greensteds School is situated 140 km north of Nairobi, in the heart of Kenya’s Rift Valley and within ten minutes’ drive of Lake Nakuru National Park. The School is set in a rural secluded, 50-acre site and is one of the leading International boarding schools in Kenya serving internationally minded parents and students all over the world.
The desirable candidates will have the following qualities:
- Relevant academic qualification of at least a Diploma but desirably a Bachelor’s Degree
- A proven progressive experience in a similar or higher role
- Practical experience within a school environment would be advantageous
- A high level of communication and listening skills, organizational and problem-solving skills
- A motivated researcher with the ability to motivate and build a rapport with people
- Flexibility and adaptability
- An empathetic, non-judgmental and ethical approach
- The ability to work individually or as part of a team
- The ability to manage your own caseload and the capability to work under pressure
Applicants should e-mail a CV with a covering letter addressed to the Headmaster stating the job as the title of their email and provide contact details of at least 2 referees (one being your current/most recent employer) to email@example.com
Applications are welcome as soon as possible.
Closing date 7th July, 2018
Interviews will take place on rolling basis
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job and person specifications
- Science Lab Technician
Our Technicians play a key role in the smooth day to day running of our Science Labs so it is essential that the successful candidate is confident in providing technical assistance and student support in a classroom environment.
A candidate with expertise in the Physics laboratory will have an added advantage
Working in collaboration with the Science teachers and reporting to the Head of Science, duties will include but not limited to;
- Retrieving, setting up and putting away equipment in a laboratory environment for practical lessons,
- Liaising with science teaching staff on their needs for practical work and maintain an efficient system for use and allocation of materials and equipment, setting a priority system where necessary
- Assisting science teaching staff with classroom demonstrations
- Maintaining a safe chemical storage/handling/disposal system in accordance with current regulations
- Assisting with security of science laboratory and equipment
- Maintaining an inventory of equipment and annual stocktaking
- Keeping a record of the consumables used regularly and maintain adequate supplies of them (including chemicals).
- Ordering equipment and chemicals in consultation with the Procurement Officer
- Assisting with labeling, storage, stock taking and ordering of equipment and chemicals
- Keeping appropriate records of purchases, confirming safe arrival of all products
- Servicing and clean simple laboratory apparatus/equipment
- Developing maintenance procedures for laboratory equipment and organize maintenance where required
- Reporting damages to equipment and arrange repairs
- Conducting safety audits for the laboratories
- Creating and maintain chemical and equipment databases
- Maintaining a clean and organized science preparation area.
- Assisting with record keeping
- Evaluating and select equipment, and make recommendations for purchase to Science Coordinator.
- Communications and Alumni Officer
Responsible for the internal and external communication of and about the School, coordinate Greensteds Alumni and support the Marketing Department.
Duties will include but not limited to:
- a) Communication
- Develop and implement an effective communication strategy for the school raising the profile of the school and representing the corporate image and brand of Greensteds school at all times
- Act as school press officer producing press releases and in liaison with the Headmaster, responding to press inquiries
- Create, develop and coordinate advertising and public relations in line with the marketing team
- Ensure good internal communications through regular meetings and briefings with relevant staff
- Manage the School’s half-termly newsletter and its timely preparation
- Interact positively and confidently within the School community
- Undertake regular meetings with the Head of Marketing, Headmaster and Head of Junior School to ensure open and effective lines of communication are maintained
- Liaise and communicate with external parties as required.
- Attend relevant school events and arrange any Public Relations aspect of such occasions
- Maintain an effective press coverage database
- b) Alumni Coordination
- Build networking opportunities for Alumni and the Student body and support the Alumni mentor program for participation in Careers Day events, in liaison with the Head of Careers and Marketing.
- Build, develop and update a strong and detailed Alumni data base including information such as; current location, nature of employment, any photos, family details, etc.
- Send alumni content on a termly basis to the Head of Careers and Marketing to update on the school’s official social media sites.
- Monitor content on alumni-run social media sites/groups and give fortnightly reports of the same. Also liaise with the Digital Marketing Assistant to update these sites on a weekly basis with information about the school and current activities.
- Update the Digital Marketing Assistant with alumni-related website content every fortnight.
- Compile and collate any historical content/pictures/material (both past and present) to add to the Greensteds School archive repository and update on a half-termly basis.
- Co-ordinate regular Alumni gatherings in Kenya and abroad, in conjunction with other Marketing / student recruitment events.
- Prepare Alumni office budgets and to maintain proper accounts of the same.
- Establish and steer the process of initiating an Alumni Foundation, with the support ofrelevant departments.
- Organize an annual Alumni Founder’s Day in conjunction with relevant departments.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- c) Marketing support: Business Development
- Negotiate contracts and deals in conjunction with the Finance Manager and HR Manager and develop a portfolio for the best accommodation, holidays, travel and flight rates available for Greensteds stakeholders without compromising on quality and the Greensteds brand.
- Contact and develop a portfolio of potential partners and explore opportunities which are likely to bring revenue to Greensteds.
- Coordinate and oversee the use of Greensteds facilities by guests and ensure that they meet the standards set by the school.
Greensteds International School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all employees and volunteers to share that commitment. Employment is subject to suitable background checks, including the receipt of satisfactory references, one of which must be from the most recent employer.
Download This File