Work with us
Vacancy for September, 2018
Greensteds is a co-educational boarding and day school (IAPS and CIS) following the National Curriculum of England & Wales from Early Years to IGCSE, and A level.
We welcome applicants for the following position falling vacant in September, to join our dynamic and supportive teaching staff:
Greensteds School is situated 140 km north of Nairobi, in the heart of Kenya’s Rift Valley and within ten minutes’ drive of Lake Nakuru National Park. The School is set in a rural secluded, 50-acre site and is one of the leading International boarding schools in Kenya serving internationally minded parents and students all over the world.
Job and person specification of Careers Advisor
Working in liaison with the Head of Sixth Form, Deputy Headmaster and the Headmaster, the Careers Adviser will provide information, advice and guidance to help students make realistic choices about their education, training and careers.
The help, advice, and co-ordination you give will include but not limited to identifying options for suitable careers, advising on Higher Education choices and assisting with the application process.
As a careers adviser, you'll need to:
- Interview students one-to-one or in small groups to discuss career or education options
- Identify skills gaps and how to deal with them
- Help students to draw up action plans for education and training and support them to achieve these goals
- Research on careers options, relevant university options, scholarships and bursaries to support students acquire higher education
- Arranging a programme for University Fairs visits for Year 11-13. UK, Australia, Canada and any other fairs organized by overseas Universities
- Liaising with and arranging for Universities which may not be taking part in Fairs but would be of use talking to our students about specific courses
- Organize and run careers day annually and organize career focused trips
- Prepare and administer psychometric aptitude tests for students to discover careers that may suit them
- Ensure students have University entry requirements like IELTS; Toefl etc
- Forge relationships with good Kenyan State and Private Universities for students who do not have the means to travel abroad
- Keep up to date with labour market information, professional and academic developments by visiting employers, training providers and training events run by educational and professional bodies
- Liaise with the appropriate academic staff to plan and coordinate work experience
Provide guidance to students on subject choices in relation to their careers of interest
- Provide support to the exams office
Skills, qualification and experience
The desirable candidate will have:
- A relevant Bachelor’s Degree. A postgraduate Diploma in Education, Counseling, Psychology, social work, youth empowerment or related subject will be an added advantage
- A proven progressive experience in a similar or higher role
- A high level of communication and listening skills, organizational and problem-solving skills
- A motivated researcher with the ability to motivate and build a rapport with people
- Flexibility and adaptability
- An empathetic, non-judgmental and ethical approach
- The ability to work individually or as part of a team
- The ability to manage your own caseload and the capability to work under pressure
Applicants should e-mail a CV with a covering letter addressed to the Headmaster stating the job as the title of their email and provide contact details of at least 2 referees (one being your current/most recent employer) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are welcome as soon as possible.
Closing date 19 May, 2018
Interviews will take place on rolling basis
Greensteds International School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all employees and volunteers to share that commitment. Employment is subject to suitable background checks, including the receipt of satisfactory references, one of which must be from the most recent employer.
Download This File